Selectize is an extensible jQuery-based custom UI control. It's useful for tagging, contact lists, country selectors, and so on. It clocks in at around ~7kb (gzipped). The goal is to provide a solid & usable experience with a clean and powerful API.
selectize.js alternatives and similar libraries
Based on the "Autocomplete" category
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest. Visit our partner's website for more details.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of selectize.js or a related project?
→ Selectize is looking for new members on the maintenance team!
Selectize is an extensible jQuery-based custom <select> UI control. It's useful for tagging, contact lists, country selectors, and so on. It clocks in at around ~7kb (gzipped). The goal is to provide a solid & usable experience with a clean and powerful API.
- [Usage Documentation](docs/usage.md)
- [API Documentation](docs/api.md)
- [Plugin Documentation](docs/plugins.md)
- Browser Test Matrix
- Smart Option Searching / RankingOptions are efficiently scored and sorted on-the-fly (using sifter). Want to search an item's title and description? No problem.
- Caret between itemsOrder matters sometimes. Use the ← and → arrow keys to move between selected items.
- Select & delete multiple items at onceHold down option on Mac or ctrl on Windows to select more than one item to delete.
- Díåcritîçs supportedGreat for international environments.
- Item creationAllow users to create items on the fly (async saving is supported; the control locks until the callback is fired).
- Remote data loadingFor when you have thousands of options and want them provided by the server as the user types.
- Clean API & codeInterface with it and make modifications easily. Pull requests welcome!
- Extensible [Plugin API](docs/plugins.md) for developing custom features (uses microplugin).
- Touch Support Plays nice with iOS 5+ devices.
- jquery (1.7 and greater)
- sifter (bundled in ["standalone" build](dist/js/standalone))
- microplugin (bundled in ["standalone" build](dist/js/standalone))
Installation and files
All pre-built files needed to use Selectize can be found in the ["dist"](dist/) folder.
If you're looking to get started with minimal fuss, include
standalone/selectize.min.js (bundles Sifter and Microplugin
dependencies – also available un-minified for debugging, just remove the
.min part) and
Selectize is available at cdnjs.
- [selectize.js](dist/js/standalone/selectize.js) — With dependencies, minus jquery
- [selectize.js](dist/js/selectize.js) — Without dependencies
- [selectize.less](dist/less/selectize.less) — Core styles
- [selectize.default.less](dist/less/selectize.default.less) — Default theme
- [selectize.bootstrap2.less](dist/less/selectize.bootstrap2.less) — Bootstrap 2 theme
- [selectize.bootstrap3.less](dist/less/selectize.bootstrap3.less) — Bootstrap 3 theme
- [plugins/](dist/less/plugins) — Individual plugin styles
- [selectize.css](dist/css/selectize.css) — Core styles
- [selectize.default.css](dist/css/selectize.default.css) — Default theme (with core styles)
- [selectize.bootstrap2.css](dist/css/selectize.bootstrap2.css) - Bootstrap 2 theme
- [selectize.bootstrap3.css](dist/css/selectize.bootstrap3.css) - Bootstrap 3 theme
The available options are [documented here](docs/usage.md).
To support Internet Explorer 8, es5-shim must be added your page.
<!--[if lt IE 9]><script src="http://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/es5-shim/2.0.8/es5-shim.min.js"></script><![endif]-->
By default, all [plugins](src/plugins) are included. To hand-pick what plugins (if any) to include, run
grunt with the "--plugins" flag. After this completes, grab the files you need from the ["dist"](dist) folder.
# dependencies npm install # build selectize grunt --plugins= grunt --plugins=* grunt --plugins=remove_button,restore_on_backspace
When issuing a pull request:
please do not include/commit changes in the
dist/folder to avoid merge conflicts. A good way to include the right files is to use
git addwhen committing to select the files you want to add to your commit.
please include tests with your feature so that we're not tempted to break it in the future!
Add an entry to the top of the CHANGELOG, and update the documentation
docs/ as needed. (Refactors and documentation changes don't need a
Squash your commits together in one or a few complete, logical commits, with a concise and descriptive message. One commit means one feature/bugfix/thing that has changed, or a diff bringing the code one step forward to a better, working state.
Once your commit is nice and clean, and you want to discard the other
changes, you can use
git checkout . (that will erase changes to
tracked files) and
git clean [-i/--interactive] (to erase untracked
files). However, be careful with those commands, as their function
is to erase things/changes.
Please ensure all the tests pass:
$ npm test # phantomjs $ BROWSERS=Firefox npm test $ BROWSERS=Firefox,Chrome npm test $ BROWSERS=Firefox,Chrome,Safari npm test
To run Selectize locally:
$ npm start
You can then run the examples in
However, be careful not to add the
dist/ files in your commit, as
Grunt automatically regenerates the files in
dist/ as the source is
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at: http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the selectize.js README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.